I get fresh paneer from a vendor near my home. It's so fresh and has a crumbly texture to it, quite similar to home-made paneer and very unlike the perfect squares of packaged processed paneer that you get on store shelves. I was sure to put it to good use. Hubby dear said paneer paratta .
So, paneer paratta it was.
This paratta tastes great by itself. It does not need any heavy gravies to accompany it. The best side-dish would be a light raita or pickles. An easy high protein meal, but paneer has high fat content too :(
Ingredients for paratta dough: (makes 10)
- Whole wheat flour - 3 cups
- Olive oil - 2 tspns
- Salt - 1tspn
- Water - as needed
- Grated or crumbled paneer - 200 gms
- Onion - 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Green chilies - 3-4 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - 5 tbspns
- Garam masala - 1 tspn
- Salt - to taste
- Mix salt and flour.
- To the flour, add oil and enough water . Knead to a soft, pliable dough.(Knead for about 5-8 mins)
- Make a ball of the dough, cover and keep aside for 15-20 mins.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal sized balls.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
Directions for making the stuffed parattas:
- Flatten and roll out each ball of dough to about 2 inch diameter.
- Place a tbsp of the filling in the centre.
- Cover the filling by gathering the edges and making it into a pouch.
- Press and roll out ,using little flour, into a small round parathas. (these 4 steps are portrayed in my collage)
- Cook the parattas on a hot tava, using little olive oil. Cook on both sides, till brown spots appear.
- Serve hot.