Friday, July 6, 2012

Plum Clafoutis for him

Watching the Masterchef series gets you so inspired sometimes, that last week saw the outcome of a wonderful plum clafoutis.  It was also baked in time for hubby dear's birthday.  He loves colorful desserts and this birthday, Plum clafoutis it was,  instead of the usual birthday cake.

Peak season for sweet plums was about 3 weeks ago and I kept postponing my clafoutis baking, because, each and every time we bought plums, they were gobbled up, leaving none for baking. So, finally when I realised that plum season was coming to an end, I bucked up and went full fledged to make my plum calfoutis.

The result........a really tart plum clafoutis because of tart plums :(  But luckily, it wasn't inedible. A tad  extra of powdered sugar dusted atop helped.

Lesson learned..... make hay while the sun shines.


 So, to reduce the tartness of the fruit I also caramelized them after pitting.

Since it was my first attempt at baking a clafoutis, I had my fair share of doubts. Is there less of flour?  Is there too much of milk? Is the batter too runny? But, all went well.( We women just worry for nothing :) The recipe was pretty easy. Easier than baking a cake.
When I saw my clafoutis all puffed up as it baked in the oven, I thought "wow!" Then, just like a souffle, it deflated when I took it out and let it rest . That was a disappointment and the next time I bake a clafoutis, I would definitely see if I can work on that .

He loved the dessert  and that was one more feather to my cap :)

So, here we come to the recipe part.

Ingredients : (Serves 4)
  • All purpose flour- 1/4 cup
  • Fine sugar- 1/4 cup
  • Eggs - 2
  • Butter - 1 tbspn (melted, cooled)
  • Milk- 1/2 cup
  • Cream- 1/4 cup
  • Medium plums- 10 (halved, stones removed )
  • Vanilla extract - 1/2 tspn
Method
  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 4 individual cups or a baking dish.
  • Combine flour, sugar and eggs in a bowl. Beat well to combine. Add butter, milk, cream and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
  • Place plums, cut side up, in prepared dish. Add flour mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until just set. Let stand for 2 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. very colorful pictures and tempting recipe ! hope your husband liked it

    ReplyDelete

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll