Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract


I stumbled upon this recipe for homemade vanilla extract and have been wanting to try my hand at it for a while. Atlast, sometime last week, it's time had come. So, here's how I made my homemade vanilla extract.
I bought a small bottle of vodka( 180 ml) and used that bottle itself to make the extract.




Ingredients:


  • Vanilla beans - 4 nos.

  • Bean skins(optional) - few

  • Vodka - 180 ml

Method:


  • Cut the vanilla beans into halves. I did this because my vodka bottle was not tall enough to hold a full bean.

  • Then cut them lengthwise, splitting them in half, leaving the end connected.

  • Put vanilla beans into vodka bottle. Add vanilla skins also if you have any.Cover tightly. Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while.

  • Store in a dark, cool place for 3 weeks or longer. You can keep topping it off with vodka once in a while as you use it, just remember to give it a good shake.

  • Vanilla extract is like wine, the longer it is stored, the better the flavor.

My Vanilla extract is just over 5 days old and look at it's intense color. It has also become so fragrant. Can't wait to use it. Will have to wait another 2-3 weeks though.

Hints:


  • Avoid discarding vanilla bean skins after using the vanilla seeds. Save them for making extract.

  • The skins and a split bean can also be put into a jar of white sugar and left for a few weeks to make vanilla sugar.Great way to infuse the sugar with vanilla flavor for baking.

Luv 'n' luc'
Smitha

3 comments:

  1. I have been making this for a while now, when the bottle is 3/4 finished I top with more vodka and few more sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a genius! I never realized it was this simple..thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbour makes hers at home and she gave me a bottle of it which I use now. I plan to make it myself when its finished.

    ReplyDelete

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll